Photo Courtesy Sherri Harkin Photography
January Skiers Get Lucky
Here’s an awesome reason to stop slacking if you put “learn to ski” on your New Year’s Resolution list- Utah’s 14 resorts have joined 33 other states and more than 300 resorts nationwide to promote Learn to Ski and Snowboard month. Given the state of the ski industry, every month should be Learn To Ride Month. But we’ll have to settle for just January until we get there. Resorts around the country use this month to offer promos and deals to get peeps hooked on skiing. You know that saying- ‘The first one’s free’? Well, these deals may not be free but some come pretty close so you really don’t have much of an excuse not to go for it. Utah’s aiming to give 10,000 beginner lessons! That’s a shocking number when you consider that less than a third of this state skis or rides.
No snow? You don’t need much to learn on. No gear? That’s included in the deals. Here’s how Utah is handling the newbies. And, btw, not every resort is requiring local residency so you Sundance Film Fest guests, don’t forget your ski clothes.
– Canyons Resort is offering a $39 package for Utah residents, ages 4 and up, January 4 – 31, 2014. The package includes a lift pass, lesson and rental. Advanced reservations are required and are based on availability. 877.472.6306. Offer not available Jan. 20-22, 2014.
– Deer Valley Resort Utah local never-ever skiers can ski January 25, from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. for $39. The deal includes rentals, lift pass and a three-hour ski lesson ($13 each). Make reservations by calling 435.645.6648 and mention “Ski Utah Learn to Ski Program.”
– Park City Mountain Resort’s popular StartNOW program is back this year! Go online to startnow.pcmr.com to register for a five-day program that includes a lift ticket, beginner ski or snowboard lessons, and ski or snowboard equipment rentals for $200. Must pre-register for all five StartNOW dates.
– Alta Ski Area Get a First Time, Learn to Ski Package all season long in the spirit of Januarys Learn to Ski and Snowboard Month. $239 buys first-time skiers (boarders are not allowed at Alta) four two-hour lessons, four beginner lift tickets and four days of equipment rental. 801.799.2271.
– Snowbird Ski and Summer Resort has the Learner’s Permit program for $50. That’s for a 2.5-hour lesson, lift ticket and rentals. Once completed you get a “Learner’s Permit Pass” with a photo that will buy you five more discounted adult group lessons and five days of skiing for half price. To register, call the Mountain School at 801.933.2215.
– Solitude Mountain Resort Celebrate January’s Learn to Ski and Snowboard Month with three half-day beginner lessons, rentals and a lift ticket for $165 plus a free lift ticket for when you’ve completed the program. To make reservations now call 801.536.5730.
– Brighton Ski Resort is offering ski and snowboard intro packages for $49. You’ll get a 2-hour morning or afternoon lesson, an all-day ski or snowboard rental and a full-day learner lift ticket. Promotion dates are January 6–31, 2014. Go to brightonresort.com and print out the “LEARN TO SKI/SNOWBOARD MONTH” voucher and redeem it at any ticket window.
–Powder Mountain is offering five weeks of lessons on Saturdays for $95 (Does not include lift ticket or equipment rental). Session Dates: January 4, 11, 18, 25 and February 1, 2014 or February 8, 22, March 1, 8 and 15, 2014. To register, call Powder Mountain Snow Sports School at 801.745.3772 ext. 127 .
–Snowbasin is offering the “Littlecat Beginner Package” at an online rate of $69 starting January 6, 2014. The package includes a 2-hour lesson, Littlecat lift ticket and basic equipment rentals.
– Wolf Mountain the $39 learn to ski or snowboard package for the month of January includes lift, lesson and rentals.
– Sundance Resort The Learn to Ski and Snowboard package will run you $75 but it’s available for ALL levels of skier or rider. The package includes rentals, lift tickets and lesson. Package must be booked online at sundanceresort.com.
– Beaver Mountain A complete ski package will run you $39; lift ticket, lesson and equipment rental. Offer is valid January 1-17, 2014 and Ski Utah Learn to Ski and Snowboard Package must be mentioned to claim the offer.
– Brian Head Ski Resort The ski package for $45 includes a two-hour lesson, rentals and a lift ticket. Participants will also receive a bounce back coupon for two $45 Get Better lessons. If the participant completes both Get Better lessons, they will be eligible for half off a 2013-14 season pass and rentals. Offer is valid January 5-31, 2014, excluding MLK weekend (Jan. 18-20, 2014). Online reservations are required.
– Eagle Point The January Adult Half Day package costs $39, Youth half day package pricing is $44 (ages 8-15) and Child All Day package pricing is $49 (ages 4-7). Reservations are recommended by calling 435-438-3615.